Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Spring Is in the Air!

Here's the newest and latest from Sarah.  She continues to serve in Lodi--the past few months with Sorella Gillespe and soon with Sorella Yonk. In this edition she goes head to head with some "cray cray" Italian Primary kids, is driven away while knocking on doors, grows a second stomach, and is dazzled by Aida at La Scala.

We Be Fine
2/18/15--Spring is in the aiiiiir! Unfortunately, just literally. We are still kind of chuggin' through the winter work in terms of work work. But we are still sticking to our philosophy of love. So as long as we love the people we meet on the streets and don't think about numbers, we be fiiine.

Karaoke Party
2/18/15--Friday we had a ward, get this, KARAOKE PARTY. You couldn't pick a funner and funnier bunch to have a karaoke party with. My goodness. The quality of singing was fabulous. Slla G and I sang "Let it Go" in Italiana (da oggi c'e fredo in casa mia!...or something) and everyone else was singing these Italian pop songs that are just...great. I had a grand ol' time singing along with all the loud Italians and South Americans. Swaying back and forth with arms around each other like we were school boys singing our school anthem or something. It was a riot. And we also met a ton of potentials! And by a ton, I mean 2! One has next to no interest, but the other one is this 16 year old friend of one of the Rodriguez girls. Her name is Elena and she sings for money. She's way good. She's also really cool. We asked her about her church and stuff (she's orthodox) and she said, "Yeah, I came to this church once (the ONE week we were sick and couldn't come. grrr.) and it was way cool. At my church it is just chanting and praying for four hours. But here you talk and discuss and learn. It's way cool." We asked her if she wanted to talk more about it sometime and she was like "Yeah! I'm there!" We tried calling her once and she didn't pick up. We are really hoping it was a fluke and she wasn't scared off by the invitation to learn more. But she loved the ward party. She sang Rihanna's "Stay" and knocked the roof off. She seriously has a killer bar voice.

Primary
2/18/15--Sunday was crazy. No one showed up so we had to teach Primary. Italian kids are cray cray. Seriously. I don't know how Italian moms do it. We were in charge of an older class for second hour, but for the first hour (sacrament meeting is last here), we were in charge of the giant Sharing Time. And there were so so so many little kids. We were trying to talk about Jesus, but we ended up just mostly trying to keep kids from smashing guitars (don't ask me why it was there in the first place) into walls, stabbing themselves with pins (yes. that's real), jumping into toilets (also real), and slapping the nursery kids (yup). So it was some good times. Oh. Also someone forgot that I've already given two talks so guess who's giving ANOTHER missionary talk on Sunday! Wooo! This sister missionary right here! I was like, uh-yay!

Finding
2/18/15--We didn't have anyone to visit on Monday so it was going to be all strada all the time. Woo! It was weird weather that day. Grey to sunny to rainy to sunny to grey... but there were quite a few people at the park that morning. One of them was an eccentric man sitting on a bench just gazing at the sky. He had greasy hair with a beanie on, a big puffy coat and a vividly colored soccer scarf. His legs were crossed and he was tapping his toe to silent music. I thought, "If Michael were on a mission here, I bet he would approach this guy. He seems like a Berger Park kind of guy." So I was like, "Hey, do you speak English?" We proceeded to talk about everything from Papa Francesco, Amnesty International, the Bible, telepathy, prayer, God... I don't really remember that much of the actual conversation, but he was really far out chill and nice. We gave him a pass along card and he said he might come to church someday. Vediamo. We'll see.

Grandma Eva
2/18/15--Also on Monday, after getting gelato (after a full day of tracking you just can't not get gelato...that is a play off of something SG says all the time. She LUVS milk and literally after eating anything she'll say, "You just can't not drink milk after that!") we were headed home. It wasn't too cold but we didn't expect people to want to stop and talk to us. But this one woman did. Her name is Eva and she is from Peru. She was soooo sweet. She kept calling us carine and belle and said that we were the most beautiful nuns she'd ever seen. We explained to her that we weren't nuns, we were Mormons. She freaked out. OHHH!!! I KNOW SOOOO MANY OF YOU MORMONS!!  Then she tried to set us up in cheap nun housing... But she also said she wanted to have us come visit her sometime and teach her more. :) We tried calling her yesterday but her phone was being weird and she couldn't hear us very well. When she found out who we were though she was like "oooh care!! ciao! ciao belle! Che carine! Aww come state!?" And then she was like, "I can't talk now but I'll call you later." She still hasn't called us and we are hoping that next time she does her phone will work. Vediamo :) Sweet grandma Eva.

Tainted by Looks
2/18/15--Tuesday was glorious....The day was so nice 15' C and sunny as all get out. I have been happy on my mission, but yesterday we were both giddy at the fact that we didn't have to wear scarves and gloves and button up our coats. Something about the sun man.... Also it was funny, on our way back to our apartment at night we stopped this lady who was really nice but she said, "I think missionaries should be less pretty. So that your message of God isn't tainted by your looks." We had a good laugh about that. She was nice though :) We love her.

That is about all for this week. My spirits are reasonably high despite the lack of visible success.

Number Theory
2/24/15--Okay, so this week was pretty...it was alright. Just normal. No crazy miracles, no awful days. Thursday was the zone conference and it was a little hard because they were pounding the numbers theory hard. "Why do you think church headquarters sends us these graphs and charts and numbers if it isn't important? Do you think numbers aren't important to the president of the church?" hehe...well no not exactly.... So that was kind of hard to hear for us. We felt slightly guilty about hating numbers and loving people. We were like, okay. No more love. Just numbers. But yeah. And then they were like, "If you have enough faith, you WILL get into houses buzzing apartment buildings. And so Friday, after a fallen through appointment, we decided to give it a whirl. And I even had faith. I was like, "Hey. We are doing casa, we have faith, Pres said we'd get in. And so we did casa. And we asked inspired questions and tried to love the people and we got shut down and hung up on and this one guy even did this Italian thing where they mime brushing dirt off their hands and then threw his arms up and walked away. We were like, whatever. And then we went to the next house and he came running out with his wife and they were like "Siete stupide! You're stupid! Don't bother them!! Get out of here!" We were like, geeeez. chill. schialla. calmatevi. And then we went down the street and started another. He was rude. I don't have Christ-like love for everyone in Italy. I think that's the only time on my mission so far that I've been driven out of somewhere. Anyway, we kept going. With faith even. And then we had to catch our bus and it was really anticlimactic because...well, 'cause it didn't work. What I don't know is what we did wrong. I am pretty sure we didn't do anything wrong and so now I'm like, what are these promises at zone conferences? Do they even mean anything or are they just ploys to get missionaries out doing casa. wtvr.

God is Great
2/24/15--Saturday we went to a baptism in our ward for an 8-year-old boy. It was probably the most beautiful baptism I've seen. His dad baptized him and his dad has some sort of disease where his muscles are slowly deteriorating. so it is really hard for him to walk and talk and eat and everything. But he was the one that baptized his son. And...well, this is what I wrote in my journal. "His imperfections are very visible, but as Michael said in his homecoming talk, we are all prodigals. We are all pretty dang messed up in some way or the other. Except for maybe Mom. But everyone has a crucible, whether it is mental, emotional, spiritual, physical, we are all very imperfect. And yet God accepts all of our meager offerings and even allows us to take part in and perform celestial work. He allows imperfect Sarah to represent His perfect Son. What even is this? As he struggled to form the words of the baptismal prayer, tears came to my eyes as I thought of the simple words of my Ivory Coast brother from a few weeks ago, 'God is great.'"

Aida
3/4/15--We saw Aida and that may've been the best four hours of my life up to this point. It was amazing...but...mamma mia....Seriously though, after waiting in line all day I was like, man I hope this is going to be worth it. Let me just say I would stand in line for three days to have that experience again. Our seats were up in the galleria in the second of two rows. I was standing up and hanging on the bar so I could lean over and see the stage the whole four hours but it was so worth it. And the other sorelle really loved it too. Like a lot. We were all in awe. I think even the most pessimistic opera hater would have a hard time not enjoying an opera at La Scala. And at only 15 euro? Ya kiddin? We had fun people-watching the old guys with blonde young models in the box seats until the overture started. And once it did...I honestly started crying a little just because I was feeling melancholy about last time I saw an opera with Dad and I knew he was with me in spirit in the opera house :)

Everyone's voices were amazing but honestly Amneris took the cake by a long shot. Her voice....I just can't even. She opened her mouth and the huge cavern was just filled with so much noise I thought the building would pop. Her aria she sings after Radames is sentenced to death was freaking crazy. She was pitiful and formidable and crazy and you could tell that she had just lost it. And the last scene. Okay, so the stage had three layers. The bottom third showed Radames and Aida in the tomb. The top third showed all the priests in white and the golden god they were singing to. And in the middle, there was a giant golden stone resting over the entrance into the tomb below. The priest were singing their Fthà song, Radames and Aida were dying slowly in their tomb singing about the veil of tears that would be lifted in the next life, and then about five minutes in, Amneris, who was the only character with a costume that changed colors, from innocent pink, to passionate red, and now, she stumbled onto the middle third of the stage decked out in black with a long black mourning veil over her face. She sings her own goodbye to Radames as she sits on the golden stone. She sings her final line as she cuts her wrists and the golden stone becomes covered in her blood. Radames and Aida bend slowly over each other into death in each other's arms, and Amneris slumps down on the red stained golden rock in her black dress. All three die as the white garbed priest sing out their final chant "ti invociam" ("we call upon you/invoke you") and the curtains dropped. My jaw was just...I couldn't even. I didn't clap for a solid minute cause I was just so shocked. It was seriously amazing. And the whole thing was made better by the fact that I could understand a lot of the subtitles in Italian and that after the better numbers people would call out bravo or brava and it was so Italian :)

Also, on the way home we were talking to this woman on the metro and she did the blood for Amneris for the last scene. Apparently she wore metal bracelets and cut these blood filled tubes with a real knife. That was kind of a cool happenstance.

Transfer News
3/4/15-- Also Transfer news! Sorella Gillespie is going to Mestre (just outside of Venezia) to be STL over in the east and I am staying here with Sorella Yonk who is just six weeks more experienced than I...so that will be fun. We are both very green.

Veronica
3/4/15--Thursday we had two member present lessons. The work is actually picking up this week. We have a few strong potentials. One of them is Veronica. She is probably 43 and from South America somewhere. She is so sweet and has had contact with the Church in the past but her husband didn't want anything to do with it. They are going through a divorce right now and she is turning back to her friends in the church for support. Which includes us! So we had a good lesson with her last time. We just shared a spiritual thought and then she came to church and we are going to hopefully see her sometime this week with my new comp. Transfer week is kind of crazy, though. We'll see.

A Second Stomach
3/4/15--Then we went to a member's house and her fiancé was there so we got to share another spiritual thought with him. Then they made us dinner and we could stay because non-member. But the meal turned out to be a miracle for me. Here is why. The first course (you're probably thinking, oh, I know where this is going. yes. yes you do.) was this really yummy rice stew stuff. She gave Andrea (her fiancé who is not a scrawny guy to say the least) 3 scoops then took my bowl and gave me four HUGE OVERFLOWING scoops. Gives her teenage son Richard one and Sorella G and herself 2. I'm sitting there thinking, "How am I going to eat this?" then SG leans over to me and whispers "How are you going to eat that?" I said a prayer and went to town. My strategy was to eat it fast and regret it later. That was easier said than done because it was so so hot. So then I just ate every bite praying I would grow a second stomach. And I did. And I still don't get it. Then she brought out the chicken and potatoes and gave me a piece of chicken the size of my foot. Again, I prayed, this time to grow a third stomach. Also, that I would be able to keep all the meat down cause it's still a little hard in that arena. And I ate it all. With only a few setbacks. First, it smelled delicious and then it was just chicken. And chicken is bland. Even when Sorella G was raving that it was the most delicious chicken she'd ever had. I just don't get why people like it. wtvr. I ate it. Second set back--being a vegetarian, and never having eaten chicken not in little bite sized pieces battered and deep fried in a red cup marked "Wendy's chicken nuggets," I had no idea how to go about eating the chicken with the bones and skin and everything. Are you supposed to eat skin? Cause that is nasty. I had no idea what I was doing so I just started tearing off flesh from the bone with my knife and fork and eating the not disgusting but not delicious chicken. I think, still not sure, but I think I ended up stuffing a huge piece of fat in my mouth. I didn't think it would be kosher to spit out food I was given so I prayed again that I could swallow and I did! Whew. You think dinner is over after those two courses? THINK AGAIN :D She brought out potatoes and gave me six half potatoes. For those of you who struggle with math, that is three potatoes. They were the best potatoes I've ever eaten but I still don't get why people think I can eat this much. I mean, I guess I've proven I can but...geez. Look at me. I don't think I look like a line backer. Then onto dessert. Jello. Yum. Oooooo I'm American and I LOOOOVE Jello. My fav. It was hard to get all that cow gelatin down and then I was like. Phew. Dinner is over. Hahaha. Dessert part two. Huge slices of cake. After the cake I didn't know if I could not throw up. But I made it all the way home, went to sleep. Woke up with a stomach ache and didn't eat breakfast or lunch that day. I have never in all my life eaten that much. Not at Thanksgiving, not even at Bombay House. Prayer is real. I don't know how I did it, and neither does Slla Gillespie. I'm a living miracle.

Waiting on the Lord
3/4/15--Sunday was Sorella Gillespie's last day at church. Lots of pictures, lots of goodbyes. People love her. She shared her testimony about faith and about what she has learned in Lodi about waiting on the Lord. And I started crying because, 1) I'm me, 2) I love Sorella Gillespie and I'm sad she's leaving, and 3) I'm worried that I have six more weeks of having faith and waiting to do. Which is harder than six more weeks of faith and results. But we'll see. Maybe some of these potentials will pull through. ...I'm praying that Sorella Yonk will be chill and that if she isn't, I will be chill enough and that at least she will be happy here and excited about the work. I've also been praying for my language that it will be good enough to keep Lodi up and running.

Much love from beautiful Lodi,
Sorella Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment