Here's the newest and latest
from Sarah. In this installment, she wraps up her time serving in Varese with Sorella
Adams, drinks in the beauties of the landscape, experiences both the flamboyant
and the divine with the people of her area, and enjoys an opera at the
breathtaking La Scala.
1/20/16
Campo dei Fiori
Wednesday night we had FHE
with the only GANS in the ward. We went to this place called Campo dei Fiori which overlooks Varese.
It basically was like a less impressive Y trail outlook kind of a thing. But it
was weird to see the lights in all their curvy Italian-ness instead of their
grid Utah-ness.
A Gorgeous Goose Chase
This week has been full of
goose chases for referrals that we have received. This one lady will not answer
her phone and she lives in the middle of this city that I don't think actually
exists in real life. Anyway, one day we set aside time to go and try to find
her. We took a train to one town only to find that the bus we needed to take
didn't come for another 90 minutes #smalltownproblems. So we took a walk in the
town and had a little adventure which ended in a photo shoot. Then we took that
bus which never stopped in the town we needed, so we ended going up all the way
to the border of Switzerland at which point we realized that there wasn't a bus
back for a REALLY long time. Like three hours. So we walked to the train station
to see if there is a train back to a place from which we could take a bus or
train back to Varese. We hop on this train going to Laveno which has pretty
good transportation and this train is BEAUTIFUL. Like gorgeous. And the whole
train ride traveled along the edge of the lake. So even if we never ended up
seeing the referral, at least we got a gorgeous twenty minute train ride on the
edge of a lake. In general I'm just a huge fan of trains. I'm really glad that we
have to take them all the time. I just get on these things and feel all relaxed
and at peace with whatever is happening. I'm going to miss trains a lot.
Onelia
I met two of the most
awesome ladies EVER this week. I mean, I knew them before but we finally got
around to visiting them this week. One is Onelia and she is this really old,
large, sick lady who is as sassy as a sass bucket. I don't really know how to
describe why or how, but for example we were making pasta with oil and garlic
and peperoncino (IT'S SO GOOD JUST YOU WAIT) and our ward mission leader (who
came with us) was putting the salt into the water to boil and she ran over
wheezing and coughing (because she was sick) and slapped him on the back of the
head and kicked his legs yelling, "No! No no no! You always do the salt
wrong!! You'll ruin it!" Then when we were all sitting down and eating she
was like, "Yup, just like I thought, the idiot ruined our meal. It is
missing salt." "But Onelia, you can always just add some more—"
then Onelia, wielding the cheese knife, "STAI ZITTO, CICCIO." (Shut up, chubby. Except in Italian, ciccio or ciccia is a sign of endearment. Old people call me ciccia all the time.) And then just
started chuckling and then burst into laughter and then we were all just
busting a gut and she pinched his check and was like "Sai, che ti voglio un sacco di bene, Ciccio." "You know I
love you, chubby." Anyway, she is my fav and she loves me "even
though you're a vegetarian" haha.
Sorella G
Another one of my favorite
people here is Slla G. We went and visited her and she told us she had just
finished reading D&C and I was like "Oh, did you like it?" And
she was like "No! Not at all! I mean, yeah there were some nice parts but
for the most part it was all, 'My servant, do this. My servant do that. You, my
servant, I'm not pleased with you but I guess I'll forgive you anyway.' God
just seems like a task master like that and I don't like it!" I was just laughing
and laughing and it was so nice to hear someone be honest about if they liked
the scriptures or not. And then she went on a rant about the war chapters and
about how the RS had tried to convince her that they were beautiful chapters
and blah blah blah but she was just like "Nope. I just don't like them."
Then looking up, "Sorry, Lord." Man, it was so refreshing to hear
that.
Jesus Makes Things Good
So I've been thinking a lot
about the passages from Isaiah that Dad quoted in his letter this week. I've
been thinking about it ever since Christmas and I can't get it out of my mind:
The Spirit of the Lord God
is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the
meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the
captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; ...to comfort
all that mourn; To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty
for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of
heaviness;
So I was reading the four
gospels during the winter months in a kind of preparation for Christmas I guess
and this is, I think, the passage that Jesus reads before coming out and
declaring that he is The Messiah. I'm not a scholar, I don't know things about
timing and complexity and the nuances of this passage in this and that
historical context, but right now I don't really care. Just at a very basic, shallow
level, I don't think Jesus could've picked a better passage to jumpstart his
ministry. This is going to sound very oversimplified but basically the way I
read this is just that Jesus makes things good. He fixes what is broken, he
renews the time torn, he brings out the beauty in a seemingly hopeless
situation, he releases tension, he turns eyes to gratitude. I sure as heck
don't understand how. And I haven't even begun to experience it yet. But this
idea is something that calms me. I don't know how to partake of the power of
the atonement. Yeesh. If it is lost on anyone, it is lost on me. Like you pray
and then....I don't even know. But me fumbling around in the dark grasping onto
anything, hoping that eventually I'll make it to Christ's boundless mercy? I
don't think he will leave me fumbling. Not for very long. I think as soon as I
take that first wobbly step— boom. I got chu. I don't think he will take away
the darkness though. It says he makes beauty from ashes. It doesn't say he
reverses the physics and the ashes turn back to their original form. It grows
from the destruction and the pain and that uncomfortable end of whatever good thing
you had to start out with. I don't understand it, no. But I think I have faith
that it works. That it will work, that it is working. "Strength beyond my
own," "Angels that lifted up my hands," and stuff like that.
Boh. I can dig it. There are times in my life where I think I am graced with a
little extra faith. Or a willingness to accept or something. And right now I'm
feeling that, because all of this stuff for me right now just feels right and
good and safe. And that is probably a result of him, too. Ya make things good,
Jesus. Thank you.
1/29/16
The Sacrament
Sunday was a really good. So
I'm the ward pianist because Italy, and during the sacramental hymn I almost
started crying because for some reason the idea of the sacrament this week was
so moving and beautiful. Then during the prayer I actually listened to the
words which I am sorry to admit that I don't really do all that often. It is kind
of a beautiful idea. Us children asking our Father to bless and sanctify bread
and water so that when we eat and drink it we can gain a deeper spiritual
closeness with Christ, the Spirit, and our Father.
Experiencing Divinity Together
So usually on Sunday nights
we go to visit this less active couple. The wife is from Peru and is a
sweetheart who seems pretty lonely. The husband is a big old guy with no teeth
and a huge bushy unkempt white beard. Think retired Paul Bunyan. Anyway,
usually he does little to no talking and he will never pray because he says he
will get too confused and mess up his words. But this time he prayed. And it
was a beautiful prayer. And then we watched a little video with them about Jesus
and talked about faith and hope and how Christ makes things okay. And he
started crying. And talked and explained to us his feelings for Christ. I was
in awe that this big man who seemed so uninterested after so many visits was
finally pouring out his heart. But I don't think he was really pouring it out
to us. I think he was telling God these things. I think he realized how much he
missed God and wanted to begin again. I'm so grateful that I had those twenty minutes
to bring that one soul a little closer to his Father and to Christ. The most
beautiful moments on my mission have been fleeting. There haven't been a lot of
instances in which I follow and see the line as it slowly climbs up. It's more
like these beautiful bursts of light that happen when my path of progression
crosses with theirs and we experience divinity together for a moment. Human
interaction and spiritual interaction is such a holy thing. How amazing is it
that we can communicate and teach and learn and grow with each other? God is the
best.
Motherhood
God is also the best because
on Thursday we went to this new mom's house to bring her cinnamon rolls and her
mom was there visiting from America and her husband's mom was there as well and
we were just sitting there talking about how amazing motherhood is and how cool
God is for making families his plan. Totally brilliant. Oh my goodness, side
note, her delivery was the scariest thing ever. 1) her mom was in America for
the delivery so no mom 2) she was going natural birth but then 3) emergency C-section
4) BEFORE THEY COULD GET ANY PAIN MEDICATIONS 5) it was all in Italian and I,
for one, don't know nearly enough Italian swear words to go through an
emergency operation with no pain killers for that. Anyway, now I'm never having
children. But motherhood is great I'm weirdly stoked on life for that! Yes,
those last two sentences are a paradox of my fears, feelings, and expectations.
Isn't it strange how that happens a lot?
Ya Live and Ya Learn
So remember that song video
I sent you guys? So I learned it that night while we were strolling in a park.
After a depressing and unfruitful encounter with a grouchy man we sat down and
she taught me this little duet song thang. And the time passed rather quickly.
Very quickly. And then we were all alone in a dark park far away from light and
people. Bad news bears. These are the huge gardens by our house and if you hike
up a little ways there is this foresty place with tables and some children's
play equipment. But anyway, it is about a seven minute walk back to the more
populated area of the park which is down below. So it was dark and as we were
leaving I saw this guy who was spookily just hanging out next to a tree. I had
seen him about ten minutes ago and so that was my first tip off that this was
no good. So I was like, "Okay let's go now. Talk to me in Italian." So
we talked in loud Italian as we made our way back to the stairs with nothing
but our little phone screen for light. We got to the stairs and this guy was
definitely following us. So I did the next thing I have learned to do which is
to call someone. So I called the anziani and we talked to them as we went down
all the flights of stairs. We chatted with them and walked quickly down the
stairs and then heard the guy yell out something behind us and my comp got
spooked and started running. Face palm. But once one starts running you have to
run with them or else you're the one that gets burned. So I started running as
well. This whole time the anziani are like "Uh, what's going on?"
Anyhoo, in the end we made it to the lighted section of the park and went out
to the bus stop. Lesson learned. The freaky part is that we have no idea what that
guy looked like cause it was so dark. But finding or singing or dancing or
water fighting in parks will not happen after dusk. Don't chu worry. Ya live
and ya learn.
Rest Up. Eat Up.
Here is a cool thing that I
read this week. It is in 1 Kings 19:4-8:
But he himself went a day’s
journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he
requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O Lord,
take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers. And as he lay and slept
under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him,
Arise and eat. And he looked, and, behold, there was a cake baken on the coals,
and a cruse of water at his head. And he did eat and drink, and laid him down
again. And the angel of the Lord came again the second time, and touched him,
and said, Arise and eat; because the journey is too great for thee. And he
arose, and did eat and drink, and went in the strength of that meat forty days
and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God.
I love this so much. Elijah
was so discouraged that he said "It is enough." Or in Italian terms
"Basta." "I'm not good
enough. I'm not like my predecessors. I can't do this." And what did God
do? Did he tell him to have more faith? Or to gird up his loans and just take
it? Not this time. This time he sent him an angel who made him some grub and
brought him some water. And then he took another nap. And then God sent him
more food and more water and more shady juniper tree time. "Bro, rest up.
Eat up. You are not in shape for the journey ahead. Stop kidding
yourself." I just love that. It's such a peaceful, nurturing reaction to a
son in distress that it makes me think heavenly mother had a hand in that one.
A Fabulous Poem
So here is a short, yet fabulous
poem for your reading enjoyment. Say it out loud—it makes it better:
Stan stands on stairs and
stares
At a band of pairs of panda
bears.
Written by Anziano Andreoli who is currently serving in Varese with us.
He said, he thought of this one night in a dream, woke up and knew he had to
write it down. Guess what companion he ended up getting assigned to? Anziano
Stanley, who we all know as Stan.
2/3/16
Rigoletto
This week has been so full
of good things. :) It started with Friday. After hours of goose
chasing and praying and waiting in lines (The upside about hours of line
waiting was that we made a lot of really cool opera loving friends. Kindred
spirits were found from Greece, Venice, Scotland, Napoli, and right there in Milano.)
even when they repeatedly came out and told us there were no tickets and we
needed to go home, we got in! And it was only 43 euro! Still really pricey, I
know! But we had ourselves so pumped up all day long that we couldn't get to
that ticket booth, see that there were four seats in our grasp and then walk
away. So we got them and they were box seats! Don't get excited though. We were
the two box seats in the back so we had to rudely stand on tip toes and breathe
down the necks of the rich people who got the good box seats. But I am not complaining.
It was absolutely incredible. Rigoletto's voice was insane as was the Duke's.
And Gilda's voice....holy mamma. I don't know if you can look up the last aria
of the second act but it is this duet between Gilda and her father Rigoletto
and there is this note and it is crazy ridiculously beautiful. While she was
singing I was trying to figure out what made it so beautiful. I couldn't. After
that number the curtains dropped and we all went bonkers. Cries of
"BRAVA!" And "BRAVI!" But mostly just "BRAVA!!"
finally drove them to come out in front of the curtain and sing the aria one
more time. And I just closed my eyes and soaked it all in. Just the happiest little
clam in that opera house. And in the end when he has the body bag that he thinks
is the duke, and then he hears the duke singing his infamous aria "la donna รจ mobile" and he opens the
bag and his still living daughter is in there and he cries out "maledizione," it was just such a depressing,
exhausted, miserable cry that it almost made me cry. I didn't quite cry, but
nearly. Anyway, it was a great night. I wore my heels and walked around the
breathtaking Scala like a real high roller.
Transfer Calls
The next day we got transfer
calls...I'M GOING BACK TO THE SEA. AND EVEN BETTER I'M ALSO GOING TO TUSCANY
FOR THE SPRING. The city of Livorno is the only city in the mission that is on
the Mediterranean and in Toscana. God is the best. I really really wanted to go
back to the sea and I also really wanted to see Toscana before I died. Here are
some things in my area: Cinque Terre, Firenze, Siena, and Pisa. I'm literally
so so happy about it. I am sad to leave Varese because there are a few people
here that I really love and that I will really miss but I'm so so excited to go
to Livorno. They call it the Napoli of Toscana because the food there is so
good and the people there are so...southern. Harbin and McMurray served there
before and they said it is amazing and the members are great and the city isn't
all that beautiful but the rocky shores of the Mediterranean are amazing. My companion
is Slla Garcia. She is Argentinian but moved to Rome when she was young. So she
speaks fluent Spanish and Italian and doesn't speak very much, if any English.
So that will be good and probably a little hard but I've always kind of wanted
a companion who was fluent in Italian. I don't know really anything about her
other than that, because I'm going to "bottle break" her. She is just
finishing up being trained.
A Melancholy Hour
After we got the transfer news we called
our anziani and they were also really depressed cause they wanted to do another
transfer together and they aren't. So we had a little pity party for ourselves
and talked about the end of golden era. I love these kids a lot. We all went to
Onelia's house (a member) on Tuesday for lunch. We ate this HUGE lunch with SO
MUCH BUTTER. She could give Paula Dean a run for her money. Literally so much
butter everything was floating. It was really delicious though. But anyway,
after the four course lunch plus gelato we all ran to the train station but by
the time we got there it had just barely left. So we went to the lake shore and
spent the next hour skipping stones across the foggy lake. It was a very
melancholy hour. But also a really sweet one. It was just nice to wander there
for an hour looking for perfect stones, talking about nothing important, and
nodding in approval for each other when it would kiss the lake eight, nine,
ten, eleven time before sinking into the lake. I'm going to miss Laveno a lot.
Goodbye to a Friend
Another little snippet from
the week, this one is a little sad though. So on Sunday mornings we always take
the same bus and this little Muslim girl and her brother and their dad always
take the same one. We made friends with the brother and sister a few weeks ago
and since then, we always walk over to her and talk with her on the bus ride over.
About what she wants to study, about what sports she likes, about her friends,
about whatever. This Sunday we were over there talking to her when her dad came
up and asked us if we were students. We told him we were missionaries for our
church and he said, "Well, can you leave her alone then?" So we
sheepishly said goodbye to our eleven-year-old friend and sat down in some
other seats. She got off the bus at her stop and usually we will wave at each
other through the window as the bus pulls away. The bus began to move and when
we saw her we waved at her and she flashed us her huge beautiful smile and jerked
her hand like she was about to pull it out of her pocket. But then her face
fell, she put her hand deeper into her pocket, and gave us a sad smile before
dropping her gaze to her walking feet. I know that the father meant well and
that he was just trying to protect his daughter from what he sees as bad
influences. I guess this is just another example of my universalistic
philosophies crumbling under the pressure of an all too personal experience. It
also made me wonder how many relationships are restricted and prevented because
of the small black tag on my coat. But then again it isn't really about me and
the relationships I build. It is about them and the relationships I'm helping
them build with God and Christ. So I guess it is okay. It was just a sad short
story. I feel like it could be a song or a poem or something. The saddest
things, the most beautiful things, and the most moving things are always more complicated
than we make them out to be.
Love love,
Sar
No comments:
Post a Comment