Tuesday, January 27, 2015

"Consolation Aboundeth"


Here's the newest and latest from Sarah.  She continues to serve in Lodi with Sorella Gillespe.


Italians Can Cook
12/25/14--We went to the R. family house for Pronzo. The food there was delicious. A lasagna that, despite the beef, was delicious. I had to eat a piece as big as my face though so I won't need dinner for the rest of my mission. (Oh wow! That worked out nicely!) And then there was this chicken salad that was basically just so much chicken but I got it all down. And then a traditional Christmas cake. It's like panetone but without the fruit and nut add ins. They sliced it into 7 or 8 layers and put thick cream in between before stacking it back up. It was super good I'm telling you. Italians can cook. One problem with learning though is that they make all their ragu and other sauces the day before and so when you come to learn it's like, "Okay, now boil the pasta and dump the sauce I made yesterday on top! Wow, you're a great cook!" when they worked all the magic the day before. Wtvr. I'll find a way.

Funny Italian Sayings
12/25/14--Funny Italian Sayings
"Un bocca al lupo" --> in the mouth of the wolf --> Good luck!
                (To accept this, one says "Crepi" which means the wolf dies. "It dies.")
to kill two pigeons with one bean --> to kill two birds with one stone
every death of the Pope --> once in a blue moon
to have hands with holes in them --> unable to hold on to money
to give a rub with a sponge --> erase the past and start over
to make a left-handed throw --> to trick, cheat or fool
(You can also just say "Furbo" and pull down the skin under your eye with one finger. That means "Sneaky lil' devil.")
to coat the pill with gold --> to sugar coat something
to not have hair on the tongue (a personal favorite) --> to be brutally honest
when the cat is not here, the mice dance --> without authority, there's chaos
to not know a tube --> to not know jack-squat
to remain with bitterness in the mouth --> to be bitter about something

As you can see, Italians have a thing with mouths. Let me know if you want the Italian translations so you can sound rad and super cool when you're spouting off idioms.

God Always Sends You Someone
1/7/15--Needless to say, the week in which Michael is packing up and preparing to come home has been pretty difficult for me. Especially since it seems that every appointment we set up has fallen through because "I woke up and thought it was Friday but then I was like, it's Wednesday, soo...yeah. I can't have you come visit today." Okkkay.... that was a literal phone conversation. I was busting up until I realized we would have to go finding for four hours. Haha. Super. The hard thing about finding in the winter is everyone wants to be inside so there aren't many people outside in the first place and the ones who are don't really just want to stop for a minute to speak to two Americans about Jesus. I thought that I would be okay emotionally getting shut down time and time again, but it really starts to grade on you emotionally and mentally when you are just trying to be happy to people and they just frown and keep walking or wave you away and you say well "Okay Buonagiornata." BUT! When you are about to break down and cry, God always sends you someone. Even if they don't want the gospel. Almost all of the following encounters followed moments in which I really was cruisin' for a bruisin':

Panatone Miracle 2 and 3
I had just finished panantone 1 when at a member visit Slla Guybor said she had nine panatones and would we want one. "Perche no!". Four days later, at Fiona's (a new convert) house, she gave a the Christmas gift of a panatone. I really love panatone. But I don't know how I will be able to finish these next two by myself. It just goes to show that God really does shower us with blessings, so much so that we will not have room to receive them.

Sylvia and Gigi
We had been tracking in cold centro for about an hour and no one was happy. Then this vibrant older woman with vibrant clothing and vibrant makeup runs up to us and starts talking to us. She's probably crazy. But we were having a grand time talking to her and her dog Ginger. Then another vibrant old women wearing an ankle length fur coat and a fur hat (picture Anna Karenina) rides past on her bike and in the loud Italian old Italian women speak so well she yells out, "Ciao Sylvia! Ciao Gigi!! Ciao, ciao Gigi!! (kissy noises)" and just like that she's gone. It could've been out of A Room with a View. Neither Sylvia or Gigi or the fur lady on the bike wanted the gospel but they were a tender mercy for me and my odd sense of humor.

Joseph
He was an African man we met on the bus. He is a non denominational minister and he talked to us on the bus ride to Crema about God and love and life and it was one of the most beautiful gospel discussions I've had so far. He said something beautiful about why we have to have life after death, "There's just too much good in life to just have one." He thanked us for our service to God and took a resto pamphlet and said he would read and pray about it. And I actually feel that he will.

The Two Women on the Way to Gelato
We had just finished Zone training and I had received letters from the Lundskogs, Michael, the Christmas letter you sent me, and the ward Christmas note (the huge one...so cute). On the train ride back to Lodi I was thinking about Michael and how it was the last day we would really be missionaries together. Sorella G saw that I was low and said we would get gelato, tract for an hour and then go home and do our studies. We saw two women sitting on a bench and talked to them for probably twenty minutes. They didn't give us their number but they took a pass-along card. I don't know if they felt Gods love through us, but I felt His love through them. And even if nothing comes of that conversation I am grateful for it.

Nice Old Man in the Metro
We talked to him for a bit. He was just really nice. He said he thought we were Milano models. But not in a creepy way. In a cute old grandpa way. When we told him we were missionaries he said, "Oh, angels. Even better.'' and smiled. He got off at the next stop.

Those were some of the sweet encounters of the week. I love these people. Even if they don't always want the gospel, I am grateful for them.

Comfort
1/7/15--Some scriptures that have given me a lot of comfort this week: 2 Corinthians 1, especially verses 2-7:
...Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ...
But it also shares beautiful insights on faith. "Not in fleshly wisdom but by the grace of God." I can relate to that. I don't understand a lot of the time where the relief I get comes from. Sometimes from Sorella G, sometimes from panatone, sometimes from Italians, and sometimes simply by the grace of God. But I'll take it in any form.

D&C 31 (Thank you for the suggestion MC): I got a kick out of the verse where it said, "you have had many afflictions because of your family." Ain't that da truth.

Michael's letter came at the exact right time. I have read it several times in the past three days. In my journal this morning i wrote, "He (Michael) said, 'just as the widow's barrel of flour and cruise of oil, God always gives us what we need to perform His work, but in a manner that keeps us close to Him.' I am lucky to have such a wise older brother who has already not only carved my way, but traced a pretty dang decent line."

...Keep praying for me. I have faith that I won't run out of oil or flour, but it is hard to see my reserve so low for so long.

Relish This Time
1/7/15--The homesickness is getting better. It's just hard knowing that you'll read this and then go to the airport to get Michael. It's hard knowing that I'm the only one in Europe now. But in another sense that is rad. I mean today I'm going up to Milan to see the duomo, La Scala, eat deep fried pizza pockets, gelato, etc. But while missionaries say there is no place they would rather be than on their mission, for today, I selfishly say there's no place I'd rather be than in the SLC airport with you all, victoriously greeting and welcoming my brother home. That to me is better than a day in Milano. But because that cannot be, I will relish this time I have. I know that after my mission I might not ever come back. So I will take pictures like Aunt Marilyn and relish every bit like Uncle Dave.

Sorella Gillespie
1/7/15--Sorella Gillespie has been great though. She deserves her own paragraph. My major life change is that I no longer wear makeup! Between the fog and the crying I figure there isn't much of a point. But this one day when I had been rather weepy, the day before she had asked me what she could do when I cried. I told her tea always helps. We started studying and as I was writing in my journal or reading some scriptures I started crying. Very quietly. But as soon as I sniffed, she dropped what she was doing and silently went into the kitchen and came back with a steaming cup of hot leaf juice for me. (I'm Ihro and she's Zuko in regards to tea.) She said, "I hope I made it right." and then we both busted up and cried and hugged and I was like, hoooooly cow I lucked out with this one. We have both had a pretty hard week. We take turns having break-downs during comp study. One of us cries one day and the other is level headed and comforting and then we switch! It's kind of like a fun game! We do yoga every other morning. We talk at night about Avatar. :) She's just a good one. I am really grateful for her. And I don't think it is completely one way. I think she is grateful for me as well.

Lodi Cracker Snack
1/7/15--Try Lodi Cracker Snack (my recipe, but Anziano Holder in our district coined the name.)
Cracker plus jam plus salt plus cheese. YUM! SG and I have it for dinner all the time. Also Biscoff cookies. hehe.

Skype Call
1/14/15--[Editor's note: Sarah was given permission to save her Christmas Skype call until Michael returned, so that she could talk with him too.  So nice!] It was so so so good getting to Skype you all this week. Even though my eyes weren't dry for the majority of it, rest assured that I am doing a lot better emotionally than last P-day. I think I'm finally settling in. Thank you for singing to me over Skype. I forgot how much I missed Michael's deep bass. As you were singing and I had given up on trying to keep it together, I felt that you were just singing me a lullaby. The six o' clock dark window of Lodi to my left and the people I love most on the screen in front of me...it was good times. Even if your rendition of Gaelic Blessing was a little pitchy ;) Just kidding. It was the best I've ever heard it.

After the Skype call I walked out a little teary and Anna R walked straight up to me and gave me a hug and said, "dai dai dai" which translates to "give give give" which I kind of like that direct translation even if it really just means everything is alright. But somehow someone asking me to give me all them tears was nice. Get it all out of my system.  Now that you are all back home and in school and teaching and Primary Presiding, I feel like I'm just one of the gang when I have to wake up at 6:30am.

Jingjing
1/14/15--So we were at a train station and we met the cutest Asian girl you've ever seen. Her name was Jingjing and she spoke a little Italian and English. We talked to her about Jesus cause she'd never heard of him or seen him before. (waaa??) And then we exchanged numbers before her train came. Before she got on it though, she looked like she was about to cry and said, "Oh I just love you! Can we... " and then motions for a hug, "I hope we can be together again!" and gets on her train. She lives in Genova so we gave her number to the office to give to the Genova sorelle. And she texted us last night and in the cutest imperfect Italian you've ever seen said, "Hello, I'm Jingjing, your friend in Genoa has contacted me today, we are going to meeting at Thursday, thank u so much, I hope we can be together <3 <3" We both just broke out into "awwww's." She was adorable. I really hope the sorelle in Genova love her as much as I do.

Alice and Lucrezia
1/14/15--The lesson with Lucrezia went so welllll! We had met her a couple times in Crema and this last time we taught her the Restoration on the bus ride back. She said she wanted a LdM and so we set up an appointment with her. She brought her other rugby friend Alice with her and we got some hot chocolate. They are 19 and 21 and are both super nice. When we taught them about Joseph Smith, Lucrezia who had heard this part before said, "Yeah, Joseph Smith. That guy I was telling you about!" So that was so cool to hear. We asked them to read the LdM and pray about it and they said they would. Alice: "Next time we meet, I'm going to come and say 'This is true' or 'This isn't true' straight up." I was like "Cool. Sounds good. Perfetto." Then we were about to close with a prayer and I asked Alice to say it and she did. It was awesome because she's never prayed before and now she has. It was good to physically see that I am bringing people closer to Christ. There might be a problem eventually with the Word of Wisdom because Alice was smoking hand rolled cigarettes on the way to the bar...but I'll worry about that when I get there. And honestly I probably won't worry because this isn't even my work. It's His and He'll pull through if I'm doing my part. No stress.

Moms Are Always Right
1/14/15--I was pretty sick yesterday. It's hard being sick away from home. Actually I really just straight up hate it. I just want to be home on my couch, not in my foreign apartment with marble floors. I had a really sore throat and a headache almost all day and was really achy. I woke up a lot the night before cause I couldn't breathe too well and it was just miserable. But I took a nap that morning after realizing that nothing was getting done during personal studying but feeling gross and wanting to sleep. After I woke up I felt a lot better, but I still had a headache a sore throat and was achy. So just not as bad. It is almost gone but I'm still pretty achy. I was about to take more ibuprofen yesterday when I realized if mom was here shed say to eat fruits veggies and drink water. So I did! And now I feel better! What the. Moms are always right dang it. We bought a ton of fresh fruits and veggies and are turning a new leaf this year. We are resolved to be more healthy minus gelato, Biscoff cookies and gelato.

Luini's
1/21/15--Wednesday after emailing you, we went up to Milan and had a jaunt around up there. We ate at Luini's which, let me just prep you, is to die for. It's this very small, no seating, almost street food-like venue about a block away from the duomo. They sell one thing on their menu. Deep fried pizza pockets. In various varieties. I got the classic pommodoro and mozzerella. It was...like a doughnut but with a crunchier oilier crust and then the inside was fresh mozzarella and tomatoes and it was like....Dad is jealous even though he doesn't know it. If we ever end up anywhere in Europe, I'm dragging you to Luini's. Mama mia.

A Slow Week
1/21/15--Friday we visited with quite a few less actives and had a dinner with the P. family. They are less active, but only because they don't have a way to get to church. No one in that city of the members has a car, the buses don't run, and all the car pool spots from others passing through Pandino are taken up by the other people who live there. It's tricky. But anyway, we are teaching their son piano whenever we visit and their daughter is SO CUTE. Anyway, for dinner they gave us Lasagna and panatone with marscapone. (Poor Slla G hates panatone. I think it's the raisins. And at almost every appointment we had that day, they gave us panatone. I almost had to start laugh crying for her when they brought it out.) It was delicious.

The next morning we woke up and were both sick to our stomachs literally. I don't know if it was accidental food poisoning or a virus but whatever it was, it was non bene. I got up and tried to make breakfast and then gave up and went back to bed. We were in and out of the bathroom all day and didn't eat anything until late that night when we both had a fourth of a banana each. We attempted to do area book but in the end it was just too gross to do anything but lay down and occasionally talk. We were bummed though because we were going to go to Crema that day to teach the Restoration to Kira and her boyfriend Raffaele. But they said next week would work for them.

Sunday morning we woke up and both got out of bed but half way through getting dressed Slla Gillespie almost fainted so I made her get back in bed. We were both just really weak still. We had been joking yesterday that the P family had poisoned us but the fact that it was going longer than 24 hours and it wasn't a one and done kind of deal makes me think it was a virus. Anyway. We were both too weak to make breakfast, let alone bike to church so we stayed home again. We were super bummed. One of our potential simps said she was maybe going to come to church. We called the anziani and told them to look out for her and a few other less actives. Luckily or unluckily, I don't know which, none of them showed. #italy. We stayed in bed and talked about Avatar and Korra and once the topic of Avatar was exhausted (haha oxymoron), we slept for a long time and listened to music and tried to do some area book and make some calls.

It was really rough being sick, lying in bed with no mom to take care of me. I was crying because of delirium and homesickness for someone to rub my back or make me a feast of saltines and white toast. Alas... I got through it though! I hear the first time being sick away from home is the worst. And it was. But hopefully the next time won't be as bad. And hopefully it won't be on my mission either. It was sweet though. We got a call from Chiara (ward member) and another member on Monday checking up on us, wondering if we were doing okay. So my Italian family has my back. 

Monday we managed to get ourselves, very slowly, to district meeting where we got a few "Wow. You guys look malnourished." Which was probably true seeing as we had each eaten about a banana and some Brussels sprouts and some crackers. When we got back we were both beat, so we stayed inside and did more area book.

Customer Service
1/21/15--Yesterday was better though. After people flaked out of the appointments we had set up, we were able to go see Chiara and she talked to us about two of her friends whom we want to meet with. We came back to Lodi and went to the post office to mail some letters and it was hilarious. Customer service here is atrocious. They call my number and I walk up to the lady at the desk "Can I have some international stamps please?" She rooooolllls her eyes like my request is ridiculous. "We don't SELL those here." "Oh, okay. Is there another way I can mail these letters?" Another huff. She snatches them away from me. OOOookayyy. You work at a post office miss. Geesh. Find a job where you don't feel like hitting yourself in the face with a mallet why don't cha. Anyway. After that audacious request she said I could leave. Haha. Gotta love Italy....I was able to buy some stamps at the tabaccaria (haha stupid me, post offices don't sell stamps!)

Love you all to the moon and back,
Sorella Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment